When the owner of one of Australia’s most innovative and dynamic mountain bike gear specialists put the call out for help with making a crazy and ambitious travel prize happen within a super tight turnaround, we knew it would be a match made in competition heaven.
Armed with a prize idea and a goal of collecting 2,000 qualified, targeted emails from Mountain Bikes enthusiasts; we set to work creating a campaign that would later see the Mountain Bikes experts take home Top Marketer of the Year in Smart Company’s Smart50 Awards.
Who are Mountain Bikes Direct?
Since 2012 Mountain Bikes Direct have made it their mission to give Aussie Mountain Bike enthusiasts access to the latest parts, clothing and accessories at competitive prices. With decades of experience they provide leading industry customer service and advice.
Honesty, inclusiveness and professionalism are just some of the values in which the team at Mountain Bikes Direct find important as a business, which align with OrigamiGlobe, so we knew working with them was going to be a breeze.
Put together a travel competition within a tight deadline, including flights, accommodation and tickets to an event with the objective of gaining email subscribers, brand awareness, and supporting the event/being part of the scene.
Creating a competition with the WOW factor.
After getting to know the brand and talking through the key components of the competition over the phone, we set to work creating a competition that would wow not only our client, but their customers too.
We put together a comprehensive strategy detailing the nuts and bolts of the competition, the who, what, when, where, why and how and sourced the crucial elements of the prize before creating a tactical promotion strategy to make sure the right people saw the competition at the right time and ensure we smashed our goal.
Throughout the competition, we were on hand to answer any questions, optimise engagement and mastermind ways to encourage even more entries and once the competition was over, we had the pleasure of letting the winner know they were heading to the Mountain Bike World Cup in Cairns.
Needless to say, the winner was ‘wheelie’ stoked. Sorry, there’s just too many good opportunities for puns…
“We had an awesome time and went to plan as smooth as silk… Thank you so much for all the hard work in organising it we both appreciate it a lot will be a holiday we won’t forget.”
So how did we do?!
Well it’s fair to say we absolutely smashed it out of the park and our MTB client was very happy indeed. Here are just a few highlights:
- Our competition attracted 2,657 entries in total – with 892 entries in the first 24 hours the competition was open!
- 80% of our entrants opted in to receive future marketing emails from Mountain Bikes Direct
- Only 8 people unsubscribed during and after the competition, which meant we successfully attracted the right audience who wanted to keep hearing from our client long after the competition closed.
There were also a few unexpected – but extremely welcome – bonuses:
- An 11.9x return on what was spent on the competition vs what we made in sales as a direct result of the competition – over $73,000 worth of sales in fact!
- We also asked about the entrants’ preferred riding style on the entry form, so we could gain valuable marketing insights that would affect what products they sold and how they sold them.
- We even had a tourism board reach out to ask if they could be involved in the next campaign!
- Finally, we received the extremely exciting news that MTBD had won Top Marketer of the Year award based largely on our highly successful competition collaboration.
What did Mountain Bikes Direct have to say?
“"Suki was able to take my crazy idea for our small business to run a travel comp - on a rather short time frame - and turn it into something actionable and achievable within just a few days!
Quite simply, we'd not have done this without her input, strategising, encouragement and organisation - and then we'd never have known how much awesome potential there is in competitions for our business!! She was very generous with her knowledge and is clearly all over how to run a successful comp, start to finish. Suki you're an absolute legend and I loved working with you!"”Jen GMountain Bikes Direct
Just like our winner, both Mountain Bikes Direct and OrigamiGlobe were stoked with the results and MTBD have integrated regular competitions into their marketing strategy moving forward… Keep an eye out for their future comps!
Want us to help you with your own successful competition, just like Mountain Bikes Direct? Check out our Competition Concierge package or get in touch with our team to find how we can help build your audience, create brand awareness and generate sales!